Saturday, May 21, 2011

18 Weeks until Baby Tank comes along!

I want to create a lasting memoir for my first child, and I want this to be something that he/ she can look at when they are older and see the emotions and feelings that I had throughout their life.  I think I can speak for most men when I say, this is not going to be easy! 

You will see a few odd things in my writings.  First, I will most likely refer to my unborn child as Baby Tank, this is because my friends have coined this term and as a man of many nicknames (Frank the Tank, Tanklin, Moe, Big Bird, Baby Huey) I kind of like it.  Second, I am planning on writing a lot of this to my child.  Lastly, I am not a person that holds much back, so beware!  Hopefully, when Baby Tank is old enough to understand, they will get some joy from my words growing with them.

I'm sure most men, especially in their 20-something years, find it hard to express their feelings and emotions... Ugh.  It's even hard for me to type!  I think of myself as a guy's guy... you know, work hard, play hard, do anything for friends and family but also likes to have a beer on the porch from time to time.  This being said, I have found that during my wife's pregnancy, there have been many times that emotions have arisen that are hard to explain, but I will attempt to BLOG them out.  I plan on being candid and open, which I normally am not!  Should be interesting...

Letter #1 to Baby Tank

When I first found out we were having YOU, I was overjoyed... mostly because I found out that (taboo) love making can actually produce something more than a great marital experience!   I hope any guy reading this understands how politically correct I put that!  But it's true, before pregnancy intimate times were more about making my spouse happy and obviously gaining some happiness in return!  It is quite exciting to find out that this time could actually create someone

The happiness of being pregnant has not worn off, but questions have begun to fill my mind about having a child... There are the simple ones: What are you going to be? (we are not finding out sex), Who are you going to look like?  Then there are the deeper ones that I really haven't expressed but I think most to-be-dads think about:  Are you going to be a good person?  Will I be proud of you?  Will you be made fun of in middle school?  Will you have good self-esteem?  Will you hate me?  Will you be able to dunk a basketball or catch a football?

Random, I know, but these got me thinking about what really matters when I am raising you.  I hope to search for answers to these questions, but for now, all I know is I can't keep your Mom away from Target and we have a lot to do in your room.

No comments:

Post a Comment